version française Français
version anglaise English


Modifié le 28/03/2014

General housing information

Why should I choose the Lyon III International Association to help me find accommodation?

The Lyon III International Association will help you to find accommodation for your exchange at Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University,

  • in a private student residence,
  • a student residence run by the CROUS,
  • or with a host family.

Successfully finding accommodation does of course depend on availability. The association has a quota of rooms in each residence. When they are full, no housing can be guaranteed.

ATTENTION: Book as soon as possible if you want to secure one of your choices. Housing is assigned by order of receiving complete application and payment.

This accommodation service is only for students on exchange at Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University.

Neither the Lyon III International Association nor Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University owns or runs the residences in which you will stay. The Association acts as an intermediary between you and them.

Thanks to this arrangement, you do not need to have a French guarantor (but you must have your own garantor in your country (parents normally)),

The Association

  • does not decide how much you pay on rent, deposit or fees,
  • does not receive the rent you pay each month
  • is not in charge of giving you the keys to your apartment.

What is my “dossier”?

In order to create your account, you must fill out an online form providing basic information about yourself. 

Once you have created your account, you can choose your preferred type of accommodation and follow the progress of your application online, can pay your account fee and receive confirmation of your choice of accommodation When you have your housing confirmation in your dossier, and need a special statement for a visa, please ask for it. Note : payment online is updated by website 24/48 hours after you have made it.

At the end of your stay, you will use your login and password to fill your refund form online and follow your refund.

How much does it cost?

In exchange for pre-booking your accommodation, the Association asks a payment of 400 euros :

  • reservation deposit 350 euros
  • membership 20 euros
  • administrative fee 30 euros.

The reservation deposit is refundable one week before you leave (conditions apply)

Membership and administrative fees are not refundable.

This fee does not replace the deposit you must pay the residence or any other fees required by them.

How to be refunded?

If you have duly paid all your rents and costs to your residence, your full deposit (350 euros) will be entirely refunded to you .

You must fill refund form online and attach requested documents (particularly if you are in a crous residence, you must ask a rent payment statement to your residence (relevé de situation). Treatment of refund form takes approx 3/4 weeks

What is a “lettre de dédite”?

You must give your residence or your family at least one months’ notice by sending them a letter called a “lettre de dédite” (see example). This letter must be sent by registered mail (lettre recommandée) and signed for on delivery (avec accusé de réception).

What is an “état des lieux” and why is it important?

The “état des lieux” is a document drawn up between you and your landlord or someone acting on their behalf, and filled out twice: once when you sign a lease and a second time when you end it. It is an addition to the lease (bail), which must be filled out and signed in duplicate, and kept for the duration of your stay. When you leave, a second “état des lieux” is conducted before you return the keys. <It is very important that you do this, as the cost of fixing any problem that was not listed on the first “état des lieux” will be deducted from your deposit.

What is the CAF?

The Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (67 boulevard Vivier Merle 69003 Lyon) is a French government body which provides rent assistance for students. The CAF has an online service allowing you to complete your application on their website:

How do I apply for APL and when will I receive it?

Personalised Rent Assistance (APL): All European students are eligible for this. For non-European students, you must have “carte de séjour à solliciter dès l’arrivée” written on your visa. If your visa says "dispense temporaire de carte de séjour", you cannot ask for a carte de séjour and cannot receive rent assistance.

You must apply for rent assistance within two months of your arrival in France.

You will not receive rent assistance for the first month.

The amount received varies, and can be up to 180 euros per month (for the academic year 2018-2019).

Private residences

How do I reserve accommodation in a private residence?

Once your choice of residence has been made and confirmed by our service, the residence will contact you directly by email.

In order to secure your reservation, you must send the documents that the residence asks you for, and make the required payments:  You are normally required to pay the first month of rent, the deposit and the administrative fee in order to secure your reservation. Minimum rent period is 4 months

If you do not send the required documents and make these payments, the residence can cancel your reservation. If this happens the Association will not be able to help you.

Once you have finalized your reservation with the residence, you must organise a time to meet with the person in charge and to move in.

When you arrive in France, you should go to the International Relations office where you will be given a document to show the person in charge of your residence.

When you want to leave your residence, you must give one months’ notice, in written form sent by registered mail (lettre recommandée) and signed for upon delivery (avec accusé de réception). The residence will refund you your deposit two months after you leave.

Is electricity included in the rent?

In most private residences, you will need to open an account with an electricity provider. The Association can help you to do this once you have moved in.

If you do not open an electricity account, the electricity in your apartment may be cut. Getting it set up again can take time (5-10 days) and you will be charged a fee.

Is water included in the rent?

Cold water is included in the rent.

Is there an internet connection in the residences?

All residences have internet; it may be free or you may have to pay extra, depending on the residence.

What is the “taxe d'habitation”?

Students whose lease starts on or before the first of January will have to pay the tax office an accommodation tax in September of the same year. Students who come for 4 months and leave before end of december do not have to pay this tax

CROUS Residences

How do I reserve accommodation in a CROUS residence?

Once your choice of residence has been made and confirmed by our service, you don’t need to do anything else, except take your arrival appointment at residence.

When you arrive in France, you must go to our office at 25 rue Rollet 69008 Lyon (building on side of university) before going to your residence, to take your crous contract documents

Before your arrival, you will also have to fill and sign a document of engagement for your contract duration which will be sent to you by email

When you get to your residence, you will be asked to pay:

  • the first month of rent,
  • the deposit (one month rent) ( 230 euros* for a refurbished room, 400 euros* for a studio) which will be refunded when you leave the residence after inspection of the property (l’état des lieux final)
  • the CROUS administrative fee (10 euros*)

(*applies to the academic year 2022-23)

You will be renting an apartment for a set period, which will depend on the length of your exchange at Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University:

The renting period for the CROUS is:

  • from September 1st to December 31st for semester 1 (for a room or a studio)
  • from January 1st to August 31th for semester 2 ,
  • from September 1st to August 31st for the whole year (for a room)
  • from September 1st to August 31st (for a studio)

You must pay rent for the entire period, even if you leave earlier. Derogations can be admitted for one month, but you must pay entire rent until end of May for rooms and until end of June for studios

Crous will be available only from August 29th 2023.You cannot arrive during week-ends. For spring semester rooms will be available from January 3rd.

If you are staying for a year, you can move in from the opening date. If you are arriving in the second semester, you can move in from January 3rd. You must pay rent until the end of the set period, even if you wish to leave earlier, and you may not stay longer than the set period.

If you are in Lyon for the first semester, you may stay in the residence during your January exams, as long as you provide proof that you have exams during this period.

Not all CROUS housing is available for a single semester: for students staying for a single semester there are approximately 60 places available in CROUS residences.

Refund of reservation fee paid to the Lyon III International Association

As of September 2012, the Lyon CROUS asks that all exchange students staying at a CROUS residence pay an administrative fee, which costs 200 euros per year for single rooms, renovated rooms and refurbished rooms, and 300 euros per year for studios. It is not refundable.

The Association will ask you to pay this amount with your reservation deposit, and will pay directly Crous on your behalf

Host family

How do I reserve to stay with a host family?

Whether or not to live with a host family is an important decision that should not be taken lightly. Each family member has their own life, habits and rules

This is why you cannot choose a family in the same way you would a residence. When you choose to stay with a host family, we ask you to fill out a questionnaire to tell us more about your needs and wants, so that we can choose the best family for you.

Example questionnaire:

  • Would you prefer to live within the city or in a town or village on the outskirts of Lyon?
  • Would you prefer to stay in a guest room, Bed & Breakfast or half-board?
  • Do you smoke?
  • Would it bother you to live with smokers?
  • Do you have any allergies or particular dietary requirements?
  • Are you more comfortable with young children, teenagers or people of your own age?
  • Do you like pets?
  • How much independence do you require? What kind of relationship do you imagine you’d have with your host family?
  • What do you do in your spare time? Do you plan to go out and/or travel frequently during your stay?

Once we have found you a host family, we will provide you with information about them. If you think this is the family for you, we will put you in contact with them, and it will then be up to you to plan specific details with them, such as meeting them when you arrive, etc.

The Lyon III International Association has a special contract to be given to each family and signed both by you and by them, latest within fifteen days of your arrival. The housing service of the Association will also keep a copy of this contract. The contract settles the rules of leaving in the family (access to the parts of the houses, notice to be given for presence or absence, participation to family events or trips, and all other daily leaving rules)

In case of conflict between the student and the host family, the Association will act as a mediator.

Students who wish to leave their host family must give them one months’ notice which has to be paid to the family.